Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

Bulk cooling tank

Posted by Michael Phillips 
Bulk cooling tank
October 25, 2020 05:02PM
I was 'gifted' a 60s era dairy cooler with the vintage cider press I'm refurbishing but it has three strikes against it: too big, antiquated technology, and the water jacket leaks. That last settles the matter! I would like to find a stainless-steel bulk cooler in the 200-250 gallon range, ideally narrow (say 42 inches or so) and absolutely no longer than 82 inches. Some modicum of energy efficiency is a big plus. Paddle agitation (stirring ability) is important as well. This will be set up on a raised stand for bottling freshly-pressed juice by cider club members. I talked with Amish in Ohio who refurbish such and am looking at a $6K price tag, which includes a new motor and shipping it here by freight delivery. Another Amish company in Wisconsin seems more friendly but that's even further away. I'd much prefer to get this in New England or Quebec. One fellow grower who came for cider apples recently sold exactly what I required a few weeks ago for $850 . . . some of you might have even heard my scream a few states away. Any and all leads will be much appreciated.

Lost Nation Orchard
Zone 4b in New Hampshire

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2020 04:19PM by Michael Phillips.
Re: Bulk cooling tank
October 25, 2020 07:01PM
I second Michael's primal scream: we are also in desperate market for a bulk cider (or milk) tank, and are coming up bupkiss. We found just what we were looking for at an auction during the summer, but it was being sold as a package deal with the entire press line, which we don't need. Michael, if you are lucky enough to find not one, but two or more bulk tanks, please let us know!

Thanks, and hope I didn't get your hopes up when you saw a reply to your plea smiling smiley Nope, just taking the opportunity to pile on, I'm afraid.

Brittany

Kordick Family Farm
Westfield, NC
Zone 7a

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2020 07:02PM by Brittany Kordick.
October 25, 2020 07:15PM
I come across these things every once in a while. But for me to respond intelligently, I need some specs to make sure I send folks appropriate information. I am happy to respond to the group or individually, but either way make sure I 9and others) know more precisely what you are looking for.

1. size - dimensions and gallons
2. construction materials
3. cooling capabilities
4. electrical requirements
5. plug n play or are you willing to make some repairs?
6. location - how far are you willing to go to pick one up? or do you need delivery?

Mike

Mike Biltonen, Know Your Roots
Zone 5b in New York
October 26, 2020 03:55PM
Kicking myself for not checking with this community first before letting that tank go. Hadn't occurred to me that it would be in demand. Having had the experience of hearing that scream in person, I now know better!

I any case, one resource I've found helpful while cobbling together a small cidery (Federal permit obtained Friday!) is the classifieds on probrewer.com. [www.probrewer.com] Obviously more brewery focused, but lots of stainless in all manner of configuration. Dairy tanks pop up from time to time and are usually listed as mash tuns. Will keep an eye out for any local listings, farm auctions etc. as well.

Wild Branch Cider
www.wildbranchcider.com
Zone 4a in Vermont
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login